Collection: PART 2

Research.

by Jerry Chu
Tags: Research

ALL RESEARCHES IN FOUNDATION-PLUS 16/17

Welcome

Research. 16th June

This is the artist research in project: Self-Portrait

Include:

Daniel Buren

Viga Gelmins.

General Information

Daniel Buren was borned on the 25 March, 1938. He is a French conceptual artist.

His works are known best for the using regular, contrasting colored stripes in an effort to integrate visual surface and architectural space, notably on historical, landmark architecture.

De travers et trop grand - bleu, 2013

Peinture acrylique sur tissu rayé de bandes blanches et noires, 1973

General Information

Vija Celmins is an acclaimed Latvian-American visual artist.

She is best known for photo-realistic paintings and drawings of natural environments and phenomena

such as the ocean, spider webs, star fields, and rocks. Her earlier work included pop sculptures and monochromatic representational paintings.

My opinions

I picked her as my research subject was because she holds another point of views to make art, compare to Daniel Buren.

She oftenly drawing photo-realistic painting in several "marks" she likes. You can feel that her work is like a photograph, but the strong texture of painting makes this work looks so surreal. This method of fuzzification on defining boundary was so fascinating.

Gun with Hand #1 1964

Reflection. 16th June

Reflective Q&A: 16th June

Q: Which  drawing task has made you see drawing in a new way? And how?

A: To be honest, I have already complete those training in foundation, so the task was not suprising to me. I knew it for the first time that I get this task, draw differently, that means getting out of your comfort zone to create free art, that's the only way we can improve ourselves.

Reflective Q&A: 16th June

Q: Which artist has made you think differently about drawing? And why?

A: After got into a deeper research about artist Daniel Buren, his works had influence me in differernt ways. Ideally, his concept was very inspiring that artworks could not only be presented as the mimiesis or representation of anything, but the work it self. I found it extremely excited when I get to know this, because that is just very same idea as my Self Portrait final.(Not to present my portrait by showing the figure of mine, but the dust on my sketchbook.)

Also, use of colours and stripes were very smart I think, It's pure and simple, depites the deeper meaning out of it; they are visually eyes-catching to everyone. This can be apply to my drawing in sketchbook, to deal with layout.

V&A STUDY TOUR: Cristóbal Balenciaga

Sketch study

Sketch study

REM KOOLHAAS

"Delicious New York" concept inspiration.

Koolhaas tells the story of Manhattan, a ‘mythical island’ and setting of an urban experiment in which the city becomes a factory for man made experiences, a laboratory to test the potential of modern life. He claims that ‘Manhattanism’ is the one urbanistic concept that revels in ‘hyper density’ and is fuelled by the splendours and miseries than come with the urban condition of man made living.

Daniel Buren

Prisms and Mirrors, high reliefs, situated works 2016

Inspiration Conclusion

He abandoned the idea of painting as object and dismissed the importance of authorship. Pasting pre-fabricated, alternating white and colored vertical stripes on unconventional supports and space.

He challenged the conventional notions of where art can be seen and how it can be understood.

Viga Celmins

Untitled (Ocean) 1970

5 Drawing Tasks

5 Drawing Tasks

Information